Monday, January 7, 2013

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Hello, year two thousand and thirteen! twenty thirteen! 2013! Did you know this is the first time since 1987 all the numbers in the year are different? Weird, right? And what's also weird is the fact that Marybeth and I have had this blog for over a year. Woah. We sort of missed our blog birthday in October. Were we supposed to do some kind of ritualistic ceremony? I sure hope not. We can slaughter a hot dog, or something, when I get back to the states, if you want, Bette. Or we can carry on, and damn the blog gods.
 -Anna-
shirt, skirt: thrifted HERE in KOREA 
(a tough thing to manage. like, really thrifted, not just old shit sold for too much. this ensemble, minus the tights, was 6,000 krw, which is like $6. my kind of stuff.)
tights: (doubled up because it's cold) black, h&m and navy (like you could tell) stolen from Marybeth
"pearl" necklace: thrifted
"pearl" earrings: icing
cat: Korea
Now I'm going to reflect on the year past and year to come because it's half my blog and I want to. So pipe down or get out! .. No, no, stay. It's nice here. Ahem. 2012 was good to me. I wasn't sure there at the start, worrying about getting out here, to Korea, to teach. I was living with my parents (whom I love and loved living with, by the way) after graduating college with a liberal arts degree, wondering what sort of year was in store. It was nerve racking not being sure of your future, as I'm sure any recent graduate (or perhaps some adults) can attest to. Gosh, all this growing up. I did my fair share in 2012, which I'm sure I can and should say ever year, but this year was my first full year out of school, in the real world, getting a job and having a salary and living on my own and not writing last minute essays at 3 in the morning.

I also ended a two year relationship with my first long-term boyfriend. In coming to Korea, the change and distance were finally enough reason for me to end something important, but exhausted. And that new freedom had the added bonus of allowing me to explore and have fun doing things I wouldn't have been able to do had I been in a relationship. Nothing has stuck like Cole since Cole, and quite frankly, I'm okay with that. Long distance relationships are hard, and I don't envy anyone who has to deal with one. I'll be leaving soon after 2013 ends and I don't want to worry about who I'm with and where we'll be going. All I should manage is myself, for now, until I'm in more stable situation. But then again, who am I to argue against the gushy-mushy-good-time feelings and their (sometimes tricky) implications? Ah, let's just see what 2013 has in store.
chris, greg, and me, the daewoo crew (as our apartment building named daewoo), out for new years. we had a fun night at our most frequented restaurant and bar. then we hit up a nori bang (singing room or karaoke) and rang in the new year there. it was my kind of night!
So now, what about 2013? What are my hopes for the upcoming year? I'm not really one for resolutions, because it shouldn't take a new year to make a new you. But I do have life resolutions and goals I'd like to achieve, so I'll state those.

I'd like to continue to be happy, healthy, positive, and hopeful. I have control over all of those things, and I'd like to maintain that. I need to create more. I need to draw more and I need to write more. I need to connect more with the people I love and value. I don't do it enough, and I'll wish I had when I don't have them anymore. Similarly, I will apply the lessons learned from the mistakes I made with past relationships, be in any form, to my future ones, as best I can.

I don't know about this blog though. I won't make any promises about it, but that's okay. It's nice to have here sometimes. I have pictures I'd still like to share, and this can be more personal than facebook. I can say more here, open up more, explain more. So it stays, but in varying degrees.

And to you! Reader! I hope your year is a successful one, however that applies to you. I hope you're happy. I hope you're healthy. I hope you are rewarded. I hope you fail, but just enough so you can learn and grow. I hope you make it to 2014!

Sweetly and sincerely,
Anna

p.s. I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who lately. Like, a lot. Maybe it's rubbing off on me. The skirt is sort of Tardis blue, and the stripes, kind of like the windows? And I have myself a companion? I even have my own galaxy of stars in my room. And, I mean, I am a bit of time traveler since I made it to 2013 before anyone else in the states... Eh? Eh? No? Just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment