Tuesday, May 22, 2012

If I Watched Mad Men...

... and I ever went to a Mad Men themed party, I might wear this dress. Definitely the pearls, because pearls just scream dinner party apparently (ala Pretty in Pink...). And if I smoked cigarettes, I would be right now. Er, well, in the photo. Although, I guess if I smoked I quite possibly could be doing it now too. Anyway, sorry I look so unhappy in these pictures... I feel like I look cheesy when I try to smile, haha.

 -Anna-
dress, shoes, necklace: thrifted
tights: Forever 21
earrings: Icing
watch: gift
Today was a good school day. Not to say I have bad days, but today was especially pleasant. We had to give a months/dates test to our 6th graders who hadn't passed the first one. I have a morning class Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, where 13 or so students come in for extra help. There are about 7 who are especially behind. Today I drilled those 7 students, who were all going to retake the test later that day or tomorrow, on the months and their spelling, hoping I made an impact.

We had two 6th grade classes, who included one of my most remedial students, Ingi. He is the cutest, sweetest kid, who happens to love English and me. But bless his heart, he has trouble writing English. On his first date test, he scored a 2/20. But today he scored a 14/20!! Oh, I was so excited! There were a number of my other slower students who scored perfect (yaaay!!) or high scores too (and then a few who still don't get it. We'll get 'em next time).

Not only am I proud of them for sticking through it even when it wasn't making sense or when it seemed too hard, but, I'm going to go ahead a gloat for a second, I'm proud of myself too :) While I am out here teaching English, I've never thought I was the most qualified person for the job. But seeing students of mine succeed with some extra direction from me makes me feel as though I'm actually making somewhat of an impact.

Ingi ^^

-Anna-

No comments:

Post a Comment